Friday, July 25, 2008

X-Files and pseudo-siblings

Rolling in to theaters this week is a second viewing of The Dark Knight.

I guess there are some limited release things coming around. A period piece from the director of Becoming Jane, Julian Jarrold, brings out Brideshead Revisited with a veritable who's who of hey-it's-that-guy castings. Can't say too much because I don't really care.
Boy A is a British film about a dude coming out of juvie trying to build a new life. The reviews I've read are basically saying that the story is an obvious string of cliches beating viewers with a sense of loneliness. That sounds like no fun to me.
A couple of documentaries that present topics that nobody cares about. Indiana teenagers in American Teen, and a tight-rope walker in Man On Wire.

I really feel that the X-Files have passed its time of interest, but X-Files: I Want To Believe is here for some reason. Maybe somewhere some mother's basement is emptying out for the evening for a second week straight, it seems that even the nerds have given up on Mulder and Scully because the interwebs are not abuzz with talk of them kissing like before the first disappointing X-Files movie a decade ago.

For my 10.50, I'll be checking out one of my guilty pleasures, dumb comedy. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are back together for Step Brothers in a completely ridiculous plot that promises to make me embarrassed for liking it. Adam McKay at the helm makes me hopeful that they can reignite the magic that was The Landlord, but I'm sure it will be more along the lines of Talledega Nights. If they can live up to that, it'll be worth watching, but not worth repetitive viewing like Anchorman.
--John Berry, Online Editor--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home